Sunday 22 July 2012

Doctor Who BF-136 Cobwebs

"In search of a cure for a sickness that’s so far claimed six billion lives, scientist Nyssa arrives at an abandoned gene-tech facility on the toxic planet Helheim. ‘Hellhole’, more like."

Cobwebs is a great story, and is most known for being the first new story to feature the fifth Doctor, Tegan, Turlough and Nyssa since 1983.

I liked many elements about "Cobwebs". My favourite where the bodies of the Doctor and his companion, in the mortuary. And most importantly, I loved the concept of EDGAR. EDGAR was the artificial intelligence intersect that was equipped to the station. And, it turns out to be the centre of the problem.

I also liked it how Nyssa asked to be took home, but as we all know, the fifth Doctor doesn't find it easy to take his companions to where they want to go. It took the fifth Doctor four televised attempts to get Tegan home, and this was matched by several attempts to get Nyssa home.

The Doctor claims that this story is set two days after the event of Enlightenment, but for Nyssa, fifty years have passed! I quite like the older Nyssa, she's much more mature, and confident. I'm hoping that I'm on my way to liking Nyssa.

One thing that Big Finish does well is describing actions around the characters, without any narration. How they put images into your mind is fantastic. I can clearly see part of the space station exploding, and the Space station covered in cobwebs. Coincidentally, my favourite line from this episode was when a slightly frightened Nyssa said "You know what Cobwebs mean. Spiders..." because this shows that despite Nyssas newly found confidence (which took her fifty years to obtain. Wibbily wobbily, timey wimey.)

This is certainly a good start to the 2010 Fifth Doctor trilogy. If only the televised adventures were this good...

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment