Monday 23 July 2012

Doctor Who BF013 - The Shadow of the Scourge

"The Pinehill Crest Hotel in Kent is host to three very different events: a cross-stitch convention, an experiment in time travel and... the summoning of the Scourge."

The first seven minutes of this are as boring as hell. It really put me off this story. But then I finally got the scene I look forward to most- the first scene of the Doctor in the TARDIS.

Now, I don't know if it's just me, but will Ace EVER stop being hot? And she's grown up, so she's wearing leather! I blame Doctor Who for the level of awesome I look for in women.

Only the seventh Doctor could act cheery, and forget to mention where the dead body was in this story. The only reference Ace and Benny get is when the Doctor says "We probably shouldn't stand too close to the lift..." and when asked why, he replies with "That's where the body is." And then the lift doors open, to reveal the dead body. This added a certain comedy element to a horrific thing. Extremely typical of the seventh doctor.

The Doctor books a room in the hotel under the name "Summerfield" because "John Smith" would attract attention. Channellings annoy me in general, but I thought it was just a human thing.

The extraterrestrial channeling thing annoyed me at first. But it gave me some chance to finally meet Bernice Summerfield. I knew that I'd love her character, it's just taken a long time to meet her. Doctor Summerfield was invented to be "the perfect companion" and that's exactly what she's become. Strong, confident, sexy and intelligent. I look forward to taking a listen to the Bernice Summerfield spin off. Despite how great Bernice was, whenever Ace had a scene, she completely stole the limelight. Ace of one of my favourite companions... And not just because she's REALLY hot.

Once twenty minutes had passed, I was really enjoying this story. One of my favourite lines was when someone said to the Doctor "How long have you been a cross stitcher?" and he replied with: "Oh, since I was born... For the seventh time."

As soon as the Doctor unconditionally surrendered the planet earth to these alien bug things, I just knew he had bigger plans at hand. I was also tricked by Ace, because I thought she had once again been deceived by the Doctor. But apparently, she's grown up since the television series.

I wish Benny had joined the seventh Doctor and Ace for some more audios, instead of this "Hex" fellow. I haven't yet listened to any stories with Hex, but I purchased "The Harvest" from the Big Finish website, and I'll get round to listening to it today.

The only objection I have about this story- is that I wish there was more Seventh Doctor, Ace and Benny. I had no interest whatsoever in the supporting cast. But I loved the main cast. Great chemistry, and great performances.

Ace was very brave to face being defeaned, even if she did know that the TARDIS could repair her. It was still an extremely brave thing to do. Is there anything that isn't awesome about Ace?

The scourge soldier feeds on doubt and guilt. I think this makes for a good villain, because the Doctor has more guilt then any other living being. I hope my friend Keith Miles doesn't come across this story, because he'd get upset that even when they've got Doctor Who in audio form, they still base aliens of human creatures.

I went through a phase of the seventh Doctor being my favourite. It was roughly last year, when my companion and I ran through several Classic Doctor Who episodes, and found the Seventh Doctor and Ace to be particularly appealing.

The scourge were terrifying! They made a man strangle himself, just because they could. I liked the explanation of how instincts normally kick in, so humans can't strangle themselves. But that part did scare me a bit.

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this story, but it turned out to be fantastic. It was heart warming hearing the Seventh Doctor and Benny talking about all the good things in life. I think all of the listeners will agree that they got it right. Those are the best things in life, and it makes life worth living. We are human beings.

"Get out of our heads. Get out of our world." Sometimes I lose hope in human beings as a species. But every now and again, a story like this comes along and I remember that we have such great potential. Together, we are un-deafeatable.

This story was excellent, and because of all the things I've mentioned above, I'm proud to say that this is the perfect big finish story. More of these, please!

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment