Sunday 22 July 2012

Doctor Who Fourth Doctor Adventures S01E01- Destination: Nerva

"After saying their goodbyes to Professor Litefoot and Henry Gordon Jago, the Doctor and Leela respond to an alien distress call beamed direct from Victorian England. It is the beginning of a journey that will take them to the newly built Space Dock Nerva… where a long overdue homecoming is expected."

This story continues straight from "The Talons of Weing-Chiang." There is a mention of Henry Gordon Jago and Professor Litefoot, and the Doctor states that they're best staying in their Victorian gear for this adventure. To start, this story seemed very gothic, which matches the Fourth Doctors season at the time, perfectly.

It's brilliant to hear the fourth doctors voice again. Big Finish have captured his Doctor perfectly. The BBC audios were more "Little Britain" Fourth Doctor, instead of the real one.

It was good to see the Doctor return to Nerva. I'll never forget "The Ark in Space", with Sarah and Harry transporting sound the space station. Those memories will stay with me forever.

Everything the fourth doctor says is brilliant. He has some fantastic lines, and doesn't sound "too silly" as he often could be in the television series. For once, though, I agree with Tom Baker- the fourth Doctor would probably work better without a companion. He's awesome enough to take on both roles, by just playing the Doctor. "My Doctor" was Jon Pertwee, but when I was first looking at Doctor Who, I had only two classic DVD's. "Spearhead in Space" and "Logopolis." I went with Spearhead, and ever since, I've been in love with everything "Doctor Who" related. I am a proud Whovian. But Tom Baker was very nearly "My Doctor."

At the first mention of Nerva, the Doctor chuckles. This reminds me of the previous memories of Nerva, and shows that the Doctor enjoyed his time with Sarah Jane as much as we enjoyed watching her.

Leela is extremely violent, throughout, and truly is a tribe member. When I was listening to the first episode, she attacked two people in the first twenty minutes!

I remember thinking when I purchased this episode "What will happen in Nerva, this time? Will everyone be in a frozen state? Will it be taken over by an alien race?" But I wasn't expecting everything to be fully operational. This marks a great end to the Nerva trilogy.

Already I'm excited to listen to season two of the fourth Doctor adventures! Romana, Daleks, and Jago and Litefoot to look forward to! I am so happy the Fourth Doctor signed up for Big Finish.

So, a ship that was stolen from 1985 was boarding Nerva, whilst a strange infected man asked people to shake his hand. Did anyone else imagine that he looked like one of those creatures from "Seeds of Doom"? Just a bit more impressive?
The one thing that annoyed me about this story is the fact that they didn't give a reason for the Doctor not to go to the TARDIS. He was cut off from it seconds later anyway, but he said "the chances of the TARDIS making a precise journey to earth is..." But he should have just taken the chance, and ran towards the TARDIS!

This story just didn't seem right. I loved pretty much everything about it (with the exception of the characters of the supporting cast) but it feels like something is missing. This is the start to a great series of adventures, and this is the only let-down of series one of the Fourth Doctor adventures. I shouldn't like it... But I do. Oh well, it's no harm done. It's still an entertaining listen.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment