Monday 23 July 2012

Doctor Who Fourth Doctor Adventures S01E02- The Renaissance Man

"To continue Leela’s education, the Doctor promises to take her to the famous Morovanian Museum. But the TARDIS lands instead in a quiet English village, where they meet the enigmatic collector Harcourt and his family."

The Doctor talks to a dog. This bit was so funny, and such a Fourth Doctor thing to do! His brilliant line "Who's calling me scruffy?" shortly after that scene was also hilarious. In the first scene, I just knew this story was better that Destination: Nerva.

This story has many good points. Someone who steals the knowledge of others is bound to make a good Doctor Who story. The fourth doctor was written perfectly in everything he did, and Leela was fierce, yet ready to learn. Qualities taken directly from the television series.

When the Doctor was talking about one person in human creation who they had no record of, and described him as "Churchill's best man", etc. I was sat there thinking "Ok, I've studied world war two my whole life. Surely I would have come across at least one mention of him?" But I eventually put it down to my own ignorance, and continued listening. When it was revealed that that guy never existed, faith restored itself regarding my knowledge.

Leela seems very trained in the weapons. It sounds like she is loading a revolver. But where would she learn how to load a revolver? They didn't have them in "The Face of Evil."

I enjoyed the Cluedo elements to this story, and the fact that no one could see the cameras in every room. And I liked how "Knowledge had no sense of perspective." Another thing I enjoyed was how Leela referred to the police as "The Blue Guards."

I was a bit confused about how all the facts and artefacts were appearing about the place. I knew it was related to the Doctor, but I couldn't put my finger onto the exact details. But of course, I was satisfied with the conclusion.

I wasn't a huge fan of "Destination: Nerva." But I preferred it to this episode. This a good listen, but I'm still hoping that the Fourth Doctor adventures will get better.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment